Wednesday 8 April 2009

August 8th, 9th and 10th 1914 - Food & Money -

August 8th Saturday 

Dried our clothes over the fire in morning and then had a good breakfast of thick toast, tea and kippers.

Then my chum Harry Clark and S are told to report to next outpost for orders.  On arriving there, I had to wait, no dinner, so went out for a time to find some, got drenched with rain, but a farmers wife took us in and fed us.  About 2.00pm we were told to report ourselves at Cattle Creek (near outpost) for instruction.  

Whilst waiting there I received my first payment in the Army of 5/-.  About 4 o’clock we moved still further down to Mill Court and there made ourselves comfortable in a platelayers hut.  With other, our duty here is to guard 2 bridges and patrol ¼ mile of line.  We are quite close to the River Wey. 

August 9th Sunday

During the morning Capt. Hamilton paid us £2.00 each, part of our £5.00 mobilization pay.  Have quite settled down to work.  My hours are 11.00 midday and the same midnight.

August 10th Monday

We all set out to visit Holybourne, Randall’s stores made a good stop and there I bought my first pair of hobnailed boots.  Between us we bought enough delicacies to last us a week.  This is a pretty village.

No comments:

Post a Comment